Natural Ways to Sanitize Face Masks
Since the start of the pandemic, most of the world has been encouraged to wear face masks to stop the spread of corona virus. But did you know that wearing a mask can carry health risks? It is important to change your masks frequently and not wear dirty ones, as you could be exposing yourself to germs, toxins and viruses. It is also important that you remove your mask and wash it at the end of the day and do not reuse them for days in a row. Once, you remove it you need to sanitize it properly before reusing it.
Tips for Cloth Mask Safety:
1-Wash your mask after every use
2-Let your mask soak in hot, soapy water for at least 15 minutes
3- Use a high-quality cleaning solution
4- Be sure your mask is completely dry before using it again, as breathing in moisture can harbor bacteria and increase risks of respiratory infection.
5- Throughout the day, be vigilant to not touch your mask with unclean hands.
Additional Cloth Mask Care Tips:
- Placing your cloth mask in a heat dryer may damage it, so an alternative is to air dry it in a clean environment such as letting it air dry outside in direct sunlight to kill germs.
- Do not share masks that have not been cleaned.
- If you have a chronic health condition that impacts your breathing such as Cystic Fibrosis, COPD or asthma, please use caution when wearing a mask.
- Use caution when wearing a mask during activities that require more oxygen consumption such as vigorous exercise.
- You can add a drop of your favorite essential oil to your mask for a fresh scent.
Recipe for Natural Mask Cleaning Solution:
5 Teaspoons Witch Hazel
10 drops Lemon Essential Oil
¼ Cup Hot Water
Fill bowl with hot water
Add 5 teaspoons of witch hazel
Add 10 drops of Lemon Essential Oil
Stir carefully until all ingredients have blended into bowl
Rinse mask with warm tap water before placing mask into bowl
Let sit for 15 minutes before rinsing with warm water
Let air dry until completely dry or place in dryer on low/delicate setting
It is important to be vigilant of your immune system, especially during a pandemic. Stress can inhibit the immune system so be sure you are staying safe and being aware of mental and physical health concerns. Eat healthy, use natural products, practice selfcare and above all, be kind.
Mary Tylor Naturals is here to help you live your best life by standing by our motto, Better Ingredients for a Better Life!