Candles: Comforting or Cancerous?
Candles: Comforting or Cancer Causing?
Candles are a staple of relaxing comfort in most American homes, but most people would be alarmed to discover that candles can be toxic and harmful to their health. Candles can contain chemicals which are known to damage the human body and cause cancer. Exposure to these chemicals have also been linked to lung and central nervous system damage and have been a precursor to developmental difficulties in children. (Source: Professor of Civil Engineering, and Chair of Sustainable Cities, at the University of Melbourne, Australia. Dr. Anne Steinemann)
The University of Michigan released a study that revealed 30% of candles contained lead. When lit, these candles emit toxins into the air and we inhale them. Our lungs can easily become damaged when exposed to led, so the safety of lead containing candles is definitely questionable.
Paraffin is another common candle ingredient which is toxic. It is a waste product created from petroleum, and yet it is placed into candles and sold despite it’s negative effects. When heated, paraffin releases a carcinogenic chemical in the air. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) reports that, “Pure paraffin wax is widely regarded as non-toxic, but may possess some carcinogenic properties.” (Source: OSHA- Ref 5.3)
The Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986 passed in the State of California revealed that there are at least seven major toxins in paraffin wax. Paraffin wax falls into the category of toxic chemicals known as petrochemicals, which are byproducts derived from petroleum. Yes! Petroleum, which includes fuels such as gasoline, kerosene, and diesel oil. So essentially, when you are lighting a paraffin wax candle you are allowing gasoline-like toxins to enter the air in your home.
Fortunately, there are natural replacements for the toxin filled candles in your home. Beeswax candles are a natural, safe alternative you can add to your household instead. Mary Tylor Naturals, LLC proudly offers organic beeswax which can be used in a variety ways, including homemade candles!
Replacing the toxic chemicals we are exposed to is a critical step into achieving optimal health. Beeswax is an all-natural, yellow or dark brown wax secreted by honeybees. It can be used to replace the toxins in beauty products, polishes, creams and even candles!
Beeswax is a 100% natural product. Candles made from beeswax also have many health benefits unlike toxic paraffin candles. When heated, Beeswax candles emit negative ions. Negative ions are believed to increase the body’s production of serotonin, which is the brain’s “happy chemical.” The release of negative ions can aid in stress relief and improve our moods. Negative ions also purify the air and are especially beneficial to those with respiratory issues such as asthma, emphysema and lung diseases. (Source: Dr. Michael Terman, PhD, of Columbia University in New York.)
If you are looking for a safe alternative to toxic chemicals, homemade beeswax candles are a great substitute with amazing health benefits. Mary Tylor Naturals, LLC offers high quality beeswax that is sure to improve your life!